AUSTIN, TX – The Texas Department of Insurance, Division of Workers’ Compensation (TDI-DWC) approved 13 companies to self-insure for workers’ compensation claims for a one-year period under the TDI-DWC Self-Insurance Regulation program. These 13 companies collectively employ approximately 26,500 employees in Texas.
Under Texas law, certain large, private companies can self-insure for workers’ compensation claims, while retaining the protection of the Texas Workers’ Compensation Act for the company and for its employees. To qualify, a company must have a minimum workers’ compensation insurance unmodified manual premium of $500,000 and meet other requirements subject to annual review.
The following thirteen companies received renewals of existing self-insurance certificates:
- AAA Cooper Transportation, Dothan, AL
- American Electric Power Company, Inc., Heath, OH
- Associated Wholesale Grocers, Inc., Kansas City, KS
- E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company, Wilmington, DE
- Emerson Electric Co., St. Louis, MO
- FedEx Freight East, Inc., Harrison, AR
- Guardian Industries Corp., Auburn Hills, MI
- Hyatt Corporation, Chicago, IL
- International Paper Company, Memphis, TN
- The Sherwin-Williams Company, Cleveland, OH
- Unique Staff Leasing I, Ltd., Corpus Christi, TX
- Valero Energy Corporation, San Antonio, TX
- VF Corporation, Greensboro, NC