November 19, 2013
Optum has identified markets nationwide that have high emergency room utilization and shortages of primary care physicians. With plans to open urgent care clinics nationally in 2014, locations will open in Overland Park, Kan., in December, and in the Tanglewood and Copperfield communities of Houston, Texas, in January.
Optum Clinic Urgent Care Initiative Goals:
- To give your clients and members increased access to affordable options for employees who do not have a primary care physician, need immediate attention, or require care outside of normal office hours. On-site lab and X-rays for same-day test results will provide further savings.
- To connect members to appropriate downstream medical services. Optum Clinic will call every patient three days post-visit to assess whether further treatment is necessary. Where appropriate referrals will be made to UnitedHealth Premium® Designated providers.
- To reduce high cost of Emergency Room visits by educating members about additional care options. Many people go to an ER for illnesses and injuries that can be treated at an urgent care. The average cost for an ER visit in these markets is between $1,200 and $1,500. We expect to be competitively priced in the marketplace, whereas the average cost of an urgent care visit at $155
Optum Clinic Offers a Wide Range of Health Care Services and Advantages:
- Wellness visits, including biometric screenings, vaccinations, physical exams and pre-employment physicals.
- Real-time access to doctors and advance practitioners seven days a week
- Monday – Friday 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Saturday – Sunday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Open holidays
For more information, please contact your UnitedHealthcare representive.
** Cost information represents averages only based on internal claims data and is not tied to a specific condition, level of coverage or treatment. Actual out-of-pocket costs will vary based on plan design.