How Is A 25% Increase In Stop Loss Premium Really Only A 3.6% Bump?

             Numbers are interesting, and deceptive at times.

A 25% increase in stop loss insurance premium is essentially a 3.6% increase in overall costs if all other cost components remain unchanged, assuming that the 25% increase on one component representing 15% of the overall cost, with the remaining cost components representing 85% of the total that remains static.

Which is easier to sell – a 25% increase in stop loss premium or a 3.6% increase in Plan spending? It is certainly easier to sell on a fully insured basis –  various components that make up the rates remain hidden.

Comments are closed.