Blue Cross Revises Fee Schedules For Federal Employee Program

In response to criticism from federal workers and members of Congress, the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association has announced that it will revise its 2009 fee structure for out-of-network, non-emergency surgeries  under its standard plan for federal employees.  BCBS — the largest provider of federal employee health insurance plans previously had said members of the plan in 2009 would be responsible for 100% of the cost of an out-of-network surgery, up to a maximum of $7,500 per surgeon, per surgical day. According to the Post, the change “outraged” federal workers and “troubled” many members of Congress.

Under the revised fee structure for 2009, BCBS will cover 70% of the cost and members will pay the remaining 30%, as well as any difference between the allowed amount and the actual bill.



Comments are closed.