UHC was just smarter and recognized the direction of the market faster than everyone else i.e. privatize profit and socialize risk…
1) Revenue of six giant Insurers (Anthem, Centene, Cigna, AVS/Aetna, Humana and UnitedHealth) more than quadrupled from 2010 to $1.1 trillion today.
2) Combined revenues of the 3 biggest (United, CVS/Aetna and Cigna) quintupled since 2010.
3) The Big 6 profits soared from $16.9 billion in 2010 to $60.7 billion in 2021.
4) Less than one in every ten dollars of national health care spending flowed through the Big 6 insurers in 2010; today the number has risen to almost one of every four dollars.
5) While collective enrollment in the Big 6 commercial plans increased from 84.9 million people in 2010 to 91.3 million now, there was a massive increase in enrollment from 16.9 million to 63 million in privatized Medicare and Medicaid plans.
6) Almost 90 percent of enrollment growth in Big 6 health plans has come from government-funded programs, so that we taxpayers are supporting their profiteering.