The Coming Implosion of TRS ActiveCare?
TRS-Care 1, 2 and 3 will go away………….There will be only one plan: a high deductible health care plan…….Premiums would be an estimated $430 per month, or $5,160 per year!…..The deductible of $4,000 would need to be met before plan coinsurance starts……There would be 80/20 coverage after meeting the $4,000 deductible…….The maximum annual out-of-pocket (MOOP) limit will be $7,150……There would be no prescription copays. All prescription coverage is part of deductible requirements……
|March is the most crucial month for legislative action on issues that impact you and your fellow public education retirees. The Texas Retired Teachers Association (TRTA) is moving full steam ahead, and we need your help!
TRS-Care has been an issue on the minds of retirees and legislators for several sessions, and it is now coming to a head. (Read our complete TRS-Care FAQ here).Change IS coming. The health care market is changing—everywhere. TRS retirees will not be immune to these changes.
TRTA members are not opposed to change! The issue we face now is: how much pain comes with these changes?
The Texas Legislature is moving at a rapid pace, finalizing budget discussions, hearing bills in committee, having heated floor session debates, and we need them to be THINKING ABOUT YOU while they are doing the work of Texas!
Bills have been filed in the Senate to address TRS-Care. The House will also file legislation to address TRS-Care.
The plan currently laid out by the Texas Senate through Senate Bill 788 has it pros and its cons, but affects Medicare-eligible and non-Medicare eligible populations very differently.
If you are age 65 or over
- Medicare Advantage may be the only option available through TRS-Care.
- The estimated monthly premium would be $146. This is an increase for most people in the plan; however, it is still considered to be a reasonable price for the benefit provided.
- The deductible for TRS-Care Medicare Advantage would be $500. This is in addition to Medicare deductible requirements.
- Medicare B only retirees will also be included in this plan and will see reduced premiums.
- TRS-Care Medicare Advantage has a very high overall satisfaction score for those who use the plan. The issue has not been about the quality or quantity of care. Rather, the biggest complaint is that doctor and hospital providers refuse to accept the plan.
If this option does not work for you, CALL YOUR SENATOR TODAY! 1.888.674.3788 and make a plan to attend TRTA Day at the Capitol on March 29!
If you are under the age of 65
- Pre-65 retirees will pay A LOT more for TRS-Care.
- TRS-Care 1, 2 and 3 will go away.
- There will be only one plan: a high deductible health care plan.
- Premiums would be an estimated $430 per month, or $5,160 per year!
- The deductible of $4,000 would need to be met before plan coinsurance starts.
- There would be 80/20 coverage after meeting the $4,000 deductible.
- The maximum annual out-of-pocket (MOOP) limit will be $7,150.
- There would be no prescription copays. All prescription coverage is part of deductible requirements.
- The total annual out-of-pocket cost exposure for a retiree would equal $12,310* per year! (*projected costs for individual only; retiree plus spouse and/or family are higher)
If this option is not affordable for you, CALL YOUR SENATOR TODAY! 1.888.674.3788 and make a plan to attend TRTA Day at the Capitol on March 29!
If you are an active educator thinking about retirement
- You need to be thinking about your health care coverage!
- If you are under the age of 65, you need to determine if you can afford the high-deductible health care plan (see above).
- If you are age 65 or over, you need to think about whether or not Medicare Advantage is the right choice for you.
- TRTA is urging caution for future retirees who plan to retire prior to age 65.
- This legislative proposal may change the current healthcare options available to you.
- Don’t retire without knowing the facts about your health care coverage!
If the high-deductible health care plan is not affordable for you, CALL YOUR SENATOR TODAY! 1.888.674.3788 and make a plan to attend TRTA Day at the Capitol on March 29!
Thank you for your membership to TRTA. We are fighting ardently for your benefits every day at the Capitol. If you are not yet a TRTA member, please join here. Be sure to read our comprehensive Frequently Asked Questions about TRS-Care here.
Be sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and subscribe to our YouTube channel.